The Beyond is a 1981 Italian horror film by Lucio Fulci. See IMDb
Passed 18 uncut for:
- UK 2011 Arrow R0 Blu-ray at UK Amazon
- UK 2011 Arrow R0 DVD at UK Amazon
- UK 2010 Cornerstone R2 DVD
- UK 2002 Protected/Vipco R2 DVD
Update: Transfer Defect
Based on article from cult-labs.com
An transfer error was spotted during production in that the opening sequence was black & white instead of the intended sepia tones. This was spotted and corrected in time for the majority of retail disks but some black & white pressings have crept into the release.
In an official statement from Arrow Films they will replace any disk with the black & white opening:
Okay folks, when your copy of The Beyond (Blu-ray or DVD) arrives, check it to see if it has the monochrome opening. If it does and you want a replacement all you need to do is drop an e-mail to: email@example.com but go through the checklist below to make sure you send the right information:
1. Attach a scan or a good quality photo of your shipping slip or store receipt. If your e-tailer doesn’t send paper-based shipping slips please forward the shipping e-mail you receive (please note this is only for e-tailers that don’t issue paper slips).
2. Include in the e-mail your full title, name and postal address with post/zip code.
3. Please also confirm in your e-mail the retailer name where the disc was purchased from.
4. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Please allow up to 21 days for processing – where possible Arrow will ship as soon as they can.
Once that is done, please be patient whilst Arrow process and arrange a replacement disc. Please use the checklist before you e-mail Arrow Video to make sure you have provided all the necessary information so that your replacement disc order can be speedily expedited.
This is the same policy for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs and for Arrow Video costumers from all around the world, not just in the UK.
Arrow Video would like to thank customers for their patience and hope that the final discs will bring The Beyond to life like never before.
Previous BBFC cut versions
Previously The Beyond was passed 18 (X) after 9 BBFC cuts totalling 1:39s for:
- UK 1992 Vipco VHS
- UK 1987 Elephant VHS
- UK 1993 Vampix VHS listed as a video nasty
- UK 1981 cinema release
The cuts were.:
- 18s have been cut from the prologue, ie the man being killed for witchcraft is missing several chain whippings, I have also heard that it is missing shots of his hands being nailed and his face melting after having acid thrown at it
- The eye gouging of a drainage mechanic has lost 6s of the gouging
- 4 cuts totalling 43s have been imposed on the attack of (very unconvincing) spiders on a librarian. These include shots of the spiders biting his lip, nose and tongue and also of them pulling his eye out.
- 5s has been cut from a cleaning lady being impaled on a nail through the eye.
- 26s are missing from the blind girl’s throat being ripped out by a dog. this includes shots of blood gushing from the wounds and shots of her ear being bitten off.
- 1s is missing from a child’s head exploding after a gunshot.
See review from IMDb: Fulci Lives
The Beyond is one of Fulci’s best films. The film takes place in modern day Louisiana as a woman oversees the the renovation of an hotel that she inherits. Strange and gory things start to happen and poof the hotel just happens to be over one of the 7 doors to hell. Very bloody with a slightly incoherent plot the film is a lot of fun and I suspect that no Fulci fan should be without their copy. Visually I think this is Fulci’s best film (that I’ve seen) and the acting is what you’d expect. 7/10