Zombie Flesh Eaters is a 1979 Italian horror film by Lucio Fulci
With Tisa Farrow and Ian McCulloch. See IMDb
UK: Passed 18 uncut after all cuts waived for:
- UK 2012 Arrow Steelbook R0 Blu-ray at UK Amazon released on 26th November 2012
- UK 2012 Arrow Special Edition R0 Blu-ray at UK Amazon released on 26th November 2012
- UK 2012 Arrow R0 DVD at UK Amazon released on 26th November 2012
The cinema version was passed X by the BBFC in 1979 with 14 cuts totalling 1:46s.
This X rated cinema version was released on video by Vipco in 1980. Vipco then issued the “strong uncut version” in 1981 at a premium price which then got out on the Video Nasties list in October 1983. It stayed on the list throughout so became one of the collectable DPP 39s
The heavily cut cinema version was passed 18 in 1992 & 1996. Vipco misleadingly tried to pass off their version as ‘complete’
Re-released on Diskline video in 1999 with most cuts restored but still 23s missing
Finally passed uncut in 2005 and is released as part of the Box of the Banned set of DVDs from Anchor Bay
They will rise to suck the blood of the living!
From the sleazy video nasty vaults comes a movie so stained with controversy and moral indignation that the very mention of its name sends shudders down the spines of the weak stomached and censorious Zombie Flesh Eaters. A gut-munching, shark wrestling, eye-gouging orgy of topless skin divers, mud-caked undead terror and Italian splatter from the dark imagination of horror genius Lucio Fulci (The Beyond, City of The Living Dead).
An abandoned boat in New York Harbour unleashes a deadly flesh crazed Zombie cargo… A Young American woman and a journalist investigate a tropical island where a deadly disease is making the dead walk… Soon, thoughts of getting to the bottom of the murderous curse will be forgotten, as Fulci s walking corpses overwhelm the living and reports come in that the Big Apple is swarming with the living dead…
After over thirty years, Zombie Flesh Eaters still has the power to shock and offend the unwilling… Check out this classic sadist video and revel in a wonderfully tasteless movie that once helped usher in a moral panic!
String Uncut Version
- Brand new high definition restoration of the original negative.
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR: Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy – ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM: Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST) and Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) share memories of the genesis of corpse-crunching cinema – from Romero’s early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors.
- THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO ROSSI: The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats – and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks – including ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II.
- MUSIC FOR A FLESH-FEAST: Composer Fabio Frizzo – Live Q&A from the Glasgow Film Theatre
- ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS: FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN. Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay.
- Trailer and radio spots
- Collectors booklet featuring contributions from Calum Waddell, Stephen Thrower, Craig Lapper and Jay Slater.
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys