The Hunger Games is a 2012 US Sci-Fi action film by Gary Ross.
With Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. See IMDb UK: The International Version was passed 15 uncut for strong violence and threat for:
- UK 2012 Lions Gate R0 Blu-ray at UK Amazon released on 3rd September 2012
For DVD buyers who prefer an uncut version there is also a US release.
US: Uncut and MPAA PG-13 rated for:
UK: The UK Version, the result of pre-cuts and a further 7s of cuts by the BBFC was passed 12A/12 for intense threat, moderate violence and occasional gory moments for:
- UK 2012 Lions Gate R2 DVD at UK Amazon released on 3rd September 2012
- UK 2012 cinema release
- UK 2012 cinema release [IMAX]
The BBFC commented:
- This work was originally seen for advice in an unfinished form. The company was advised that the film was likely to receive a 15 certificate but that their preferred 12A classification could be achieved by making a number of cuts and visual reductions.When the finished version of the film was submitted for formal classification, cuts had been made in four scenes of violence and in one scene showing details of injuries. These reductions were implemented by a mixture of visual cuts, visual darkenings and the digital removal of sight of blood.
In addition to the reductions already made during the advice process, the Board required further reductions in one scene following formal submission of the finished feature. A number of cuts were made in one scene to reduce an emphasis on blood and injury. These cuts, which were implemented by digitally removing sight of blood splashes and sight of blood on wounds and weapons, were made in accordance with BBFC Guidelines and policy.
An uncut 15 classification was available.
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister’s place and must rely upon her sharp instincts when she’s pitted against highly trained Tributes who have prepared their entire lives. If she’s ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
- Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and the Hunger Games Phenomenon.
- The World is Watching: Making the Hunger Games.
- Letters from the Rose Garden.
- Controlling the Games.
- A Conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell.
- Propaganda Film.
- Marketing Archive