Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a 1984 US action adventure by Steven Spielberg.
With Harrison Ford, Kate Capshaw and Jonathan Ke Quan. See IMDb
The BBFC have just waived some of their most talked about cuts of all time.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has now been passed 12 uncut for moderate violence and fantasy horror with previous BBFC cuts waived for:
- UK 2012 Paramount Indiana Jones Complete Adventures R0 Blu-ray at UK Amazon released on 8th October 2012
Back in 1984 the censors cut the film by 1:06s for a PG rating for:.
- UK 2008 Paramount R2 DVD
- UK 2003 Paramount Trilogy R2 DVD
- UK 1992 CIC VHS
- UK 1986 CIC VHS
- UK 1984 cinema release
The BBFC cuts list for the film reads:
- In sacrificial Thuggee ceremony, remove entirely the tearing out of the young victim’s heart, and reduce sight of it in High Priest’s hand to one establishing shot only as he turns, having siezed it as if by magic
- All later shots of the pulsating heart must be removed except the final one when it burst into flames
- Greatly reduce terror of victim as he is lowered into fiery vortex, removing all prolonged camera emphasis on his screams as cage slowly descends by cutting away as soon as he disappears through trap door, after which his death must be over as soon as possible
- Reduce forced drinking of blood and brutal whipping of Indiana, and remove entirely the flogging of Shortie
- Reduce the line “leave him alone, you bastards!” to simply “leave him alone!”
- Also remove from the soundtrack Indiana’s cries of agony as he writhes on ledge after drinking blood
- Remove close shots of Willie screaming as she is locked in cage and lowered towards the fire and reduce her sobs on the soundtrack and the sight of her suspended over flames.
- Greatly reduce fight between Indiana and overseer, removing in particular heavy punches to back, chest, and head, and reduce bone-crunching sound effects of all impact blows so they approximate to the sounds associated with old-fashioned fisticuffs
- Reduce the sequence where Indiana’s cries out as his voodoo doll is burned in flames
- When Shortie burns the guard’s chest with the torch, remove the sound of flesh scalding
- Also reduce to minimum sight of blood on roller after overseer’s death.
- Continue to reduce violence on soundtrack, including screams of real pain as fight leads into final chase in the mine car
- Also reduce sounds of punches to High Priest’s head on banging end of rope bridge
- Remove sight of High Priest’s head cracking against rock face as he falls, and remove sounds of his body bouncing off the cliff twice more before he hits the water
BBC broadcasts have also been the cut version. The BBC in fact consulted with the BBFC to ensure that they showed the officially sanctioned cut version.