Deranged [Previous Cuts Waived] is a 1974 Canada/USA crime horror by Jeff Gillen and Alan Ormsby.
With Roberts Blossom, Cosette Lee, Leslie Carlson.
UK: Passed 18 uncut for strong violence with previous BBFC cuts waived for:
- UK 2013 Arrow (RB) Blu-ray/(R2) DVD Combo at UK Amazon released on 12th August 2013
UK 1975: Passed X (18) after BBFC cuts for UK 1975 cinema release UK 1998: Passed 18 after 18s of BBFC cuts for UK 1998 Exploited VHS. Cut to remove shots of bloodstained breasts from the gutting of a woman’s body during the climax of the film.
US: The cut US R Rated version omits a scene of Ezzra Cobb scooping out a corpse’s brains with an ice cream scoop.
Real-life Wisconsin serial killer Ed Gein inspired many distinguished films, including Psycho , The Silence of the Lambs and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre , but none is quite as disturbing as Deranged .
Roberts Blossom gives an alarmingly convincing performance as rural eccentric Ezra Cobb, whose mother’s death unhinges him to the point where he not only lovingly preserves her corpse in the living room but also goes out to find ‘friends’ to keep her company not all of whom are dead when he finds them! Perversely, Ezra’s more worried about what mother would say about his various activities than he is about the prospect of being found out. Indeed, like Gein, he’s cheerfully open about his activities when visiting friends, but no-one believes him.
Like Carnival of Souls and The Honeymoon Killers , this is one of American horror cinema’s great one-offs, an eerie, genuinely unsettling but also darkly comic experience.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the unrated version, featuring the infamous brain-scooping scene , available uncut in the UK for the first time!
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with special effects artist Tom Savini
- Introduction to the film by Savini
- A Blossoming Brilliance: Scott Spiegel ( Intruder, Evil Dead II ) speaks about Deranged star Roberts Blossom and the lasting legacy of this gore-soaked gem
- Ed Gein: From Murder to Movies – Laurence R. Harvey ( The Human Centipide II ) discusses the lurid legacy of the Wisconsin serial killer and the secrets of portraying a cinematic psychopath
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh
- Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA , and an archive interview with producer Bob Clark by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- And more to be announced!